Sunday 5 July 2009

No internal thermostat

Like a lot of people with MS I don't look forward to the hot weather. Whatever is going on with my MS gets worse when the mercury rises.

Lucky for me I'm not suffering a relapse at the moment and all the problems I have are the ones that seem to never go away. The annoying little ones. The itching the numb bits. The fact that I can't cool down.

I never had much of a problem with Summer before. Quite enjoyed a day out in the warm and sunshine. Not anymore though. As the Summer arrived and I put away my jackets I noticed that I cannot take even the lightest exercise without absolutely melting. I sweat buckets (no matter how much anti-perspirant I wear) my feet get blisters (even in my most comfy shoes) and my face, as well as glowing with sweat, goes red and blotchy. I think I must get about ten degrees hotter - even when the sun isn't shining and it is only about 17 or 18 degrees.

As for night-time, even if I feel cool when I go to bed I wake up having thrown off all the bed-clothes and turned my PJs and bed-clothes to damp rags. The portable air-con (which are really giant fans with trays of water in the base) have been pressed into service and sit looking like R2D2 in the corner of the bedroom and the living room.

My Tuesday-Thursday office has no air-con (it broke down) but I do have a desk fan to try and keep me cool. Lucky my Monday & Friday office is fully air conditioned (oh joy) so that is something at least. All I can say now, and I'm sure I'm not alone, is roll on Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment