Sunday 12 July 2009

Muscle pains

Last week for about the third time in as many months I was suddenly afflicted by an inexplicable muscle pain. I was standing brushing my hair in the morning when the opposite shoulder (the one not involved in brushing my hair) started to hurt. It felt like I'd pulled a muscle, without actually doing anything. As the day went on the pain got worse and worse... nothing helped; not heat, not cool, not painkillers.

I spent a horrendous night not able to find a way to lie and be comfortable and eventually fell asleep in the wee small hours through absolute exhaustion. The next day I rang my MS Nurse; described my symptoms and asked if it could be caused by MS. Were the muscles hard, she asked. Like a rock, I told here. Muscle spasms she told me. Can last for seconds or for hours or for days. I asked if there was anything to be done... tablets that have to be taken all the time to work or for short term relief Valium. Really can't face the thought of any more medication (already three tablets a day plus the Avonex) and don't much like the idea of Valium either... so guess I'll just wait and see where this takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment