Tuesday 4 February 2014

Sleep and MS

I have a lot of problems with sleep. I never used to. It has all been since MS and I became acquainted.

First problem is that all my night time tablets are supposed to make me sleepy. They do about 90% of the time. I think I'm developing tolerance as that 10% I can't sleep at all. When I do fall into a chemical sleep it happens within about ten to twenty minutes... but it does not often last until dawn.

Next problem that MS has introduced into my somnoulent life; because I find it hard to move I cannot turn in bed unaided (I can't get out of bed without those bars either). This means that however I am lying when I fall asleep is how I wake up. I usually wake in the night because lying in one position gives you cramps and spasms - mostly in my back,  but sometimes my arms and legs join in for fun.

I take five tablets at night (four to combat spacisity and so forth amend one to stop prurient itching). I take two tablets in the day (breakfast and lunch). These are essential. I suffer (as do a lot of people) with crippling fatigue, but this is augmented by horrendous brain fog and daytime sleepiness (yes, even after a good night's sleep). Without Modafifnil I'm inclined to doze off (it has nearly happened at work before the tablets). The trouble is (like a gremlin) no Modafifnil after midday as it will effect your sleep pattern. It does anyway. At night the daytime wakefulness tablets do battle with the night time sleepiness tablets!

Last, but not least, naps. Most people with auto-immune disorders discover that they can't do it all. You gave to use energy wisely. It's a theory that is sometimes hard to practice. There are days when I just do stuff (because I need to, because I want to). Then I come home and sleep. There are the four days I don't work where some time is nearly always spent paying for the rest of the week.

I like sleeping. Ideally I like eight to ten hours, at night. It has become a fickle friend these days I find. 


No comments:

Post a Comment